NY STYLE GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free
From wood-fired California pies topped with arugula to hefty Chicago deep-dish, we heart pizza in every shape and size. But there’s something about the utter simplicity of a New York slice that fulfills our core pizza cravings. This Big Apple inspired recipe has all the elements of the classic: crisp, golden edges on a crisp yet bendy crust that holds a generous heap of melty, stretchy cheese. Or vegan cheese! Or no cheese! Because the biggest perk about homemade pizza is unlimited custom toppings. Well, that and pizza for breakfast…though having leftovers can’t be guaranteed here.
- ½ cup warm water (approximately 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast (we recommend Red Star Brand)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Prepare yeast mix: In a small bowl, add warm water and honey. Mix to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast in. Mix to dissolve. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to activate. It will get foamy on top, if it doesn't yeast may be bad.
- Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl to combine.
- Lightly whisk eggs and olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Add egg mixture and activated yeast to the dry ingredients.
- Mix to form a dough ball. Transfer ball to an oiled bowl, cover with dish towel and set aside in a warm place (70-80 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal) to rise for 1 hour. It will not double in size, but it will rise a little.
- Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit. Preheat pizza stone, baking sheet or metal pan.
- Place the dough on parchment paper. Place a piece of parchment paper over the dough (if necessary) and shape dough with your hands by pushing down (on top of parchment, so it doesn't stick) and roll with rolling pin. Flatten your pizza about 1/8-1/4 inch thin. Roll the crust thick or thin (to your liking) by shaping with your fingers and rolling the edges.
- Place your toppings on the dough. Lift the whole piece of parchment paper with pizza on top and transfer to the preheated baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes until dough is firm and slightly golden, pulling out halfway and removing parchment paper. For a crispier golden crust, allow a few more minutes. Allow more time if cooking at lower temperature.
Serves: 4 (or 2 big eaters)
Prep time (includes rise time): 1 hr 15 mins
Cook time: 8-12 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 25 Minutes